OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY ASSISTANT
Salary : £19,101 pa
Location: Bromley, (Multi-Site)
Hours: 38 hours per week (Part time hours also available)
Reports to: Multi-Site Project Manager Clinical Supervisor: Head of Occupational Therapy
Do you want to embrace a rewarding role full of opportunities to have a positive impact on others, develop skills and grow your career? Occupational Therapy builds support around what really matters to the person, it can have a life-changing effect on those we support.
We are looking for enthusiastic people to support vulnerable adults with a range of complex mental health needs. This role is an excellent opportunity to gain qualifications and develop your skills in the field of mental health and Occupational Therapy. Learning and development opportunities include the Higher National Certificate level 7 in Occupational Therapy support and trusted assessor training. We are committed to supporting people to undertake the Occupational Therapy degree apprenticeship and progress in our career pathway.
Ambient support provides specialist services including those with mental health needs. We work with a diverse client group both within the community and in our accommodation-based services. Throughout Ambient the emphasis is on high quality services which respond to the needs of service users. All staff are encouraged to undertake training and to develop skills and abilities which will help to improve performance. Training needs, performance and objectives are assessed and reviewed through regular Performance Learning and Supervision (PLS) meetings.
- To support service users guided by evidence based and client centred principles to assess, plan, implement and evaluate interventions, which provide service users with the confidence, skills and coping strategies to improve quality of life and rehabilitation. To develop skills and approaches which build trusting relationships with the people who use our services.
- To support people who use our services to maintain and/or improve their quality of life through regular practical and social support which facilitates choice, independence, confidence, involvement and motivation.
- The emphasis throughout all of Community Options services is one of supporting people to achieve their goals: this involves making time to listen to client’s needs and aspirations. Progress towards identified goals is measured through clinical assessments and individually tailored support plans. In addition, Occupational Therapy Assistants will utilise and complete a broad range of assessments and interventions based on individual need. Much of the work is 1:1, which includes support and rehabilitation with daily living skills, and supporting service users to develop coping strategies; including community resources and support. Staff work as part of a team with support and guidance from the Managers and the Head of Occupational Therapy.
- The post holder would work across 2 residential care homes, supported living schemes. Occupational Therapy Assistants may move from their initial placement in accordance with the needs of the services.
We are looking for our Occupation Therapy Assistant to have:
- Experience of relevant working with people with mental health
- Experience of working within an Occupational Therapy Service
- Experience of working in a community setting
- The ability to accurately record observations and other relevant information
- The ability to communicate clearly and with courtesy both face to face with people, and over the telephone
- Able to work on own initiative and demonstrate the ability to organise own workload and set priorities
- Can manage and support colleagues and services users effectively in an emergency or crisis
- Understanding, ability and willingness to work as part of a team and under the instruction of the Line Manager and Occupational Therapist Engaging with and motivating people
- Ability to work within multi –disciplinary settings
- Can help provide and maintain a safe environment for service users and staff
- Have or willing to work towards RCF level 2 in Health and Social Care or above in relevant area or willingness to achieve
- Have or willing to work towards the Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Occupational Therapy Support following completion of the QCF Computer literate with knowledge of Word
- Flexible in approach – able to work shifts/weekends/sleeping nights Car owner and driver Willingness to learn and to undertake training
In return for your hard work, we offer our Occupational Therapy Assistant:
- All staff are entitled to 5.6 weeks (28.0 days pro rata for hours worked) annual leave per annum. No additional leave is given for bank holidays.
- Ambient Support operates a free employee benefits discount scheme. This gives discounts on many retailers on the high street and over the internet.
- We also offer a bike to work scheme and a childcare voucher discount scheme.
- Excellent career progression, extensive training and support will be provided. We also offer a wide range of qualifications including RQF (formerly NVQ/QCF) in Adult Social Care. There is opportunity to progress to more .
- Thorough induction, e-learning, classroom training including manual handling, dementia awareness and shadow shifts with experienced members of the team.
- To be a part of a company that believes all people are unique and they should be able to lead valued lives in their communities treated with dignity and respect, no matter their age, health condition or disability. We know this is a challenging role, so we are hoping to find resilient people who can see this as more than job – this is a chance to make a real difference, that will not only enrich someone else's life but also yours.